NAMA-related policies in Viet Nam
Core climate mitigation policies in Viet Nam are the National Climate Change Strategy (NCCS), the Green Growth Strategy (VGGS) and their related Action Plans. The legal framework is supplemented by further policies such as the Support Program to Respond to Climate Change (SP-RCC), the Plan of Greenhouse Gas Emission Management – Management of Carbon Trading Activities for the World Market, the Renewable Energy Development Strategy, the Action Plan Framework (APF) for Adaptation and Mitigation for Climate Change in the Agriculture and Rural Development Sector for the period 2008-2020; the REDD+ Action Plan and other strategies with a focus on renewable energy, energy efficiency, disaster risk reduction and other climate change related aspects.
Viet Nam’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) pledges to reduce GHG emissions unconditionally by 8% and by 25% by means of bilateral and multilateral cooperation until 2030 compared to the business-as-usual (BAU) scenario (using a 2010 baseline). According to Viet Nam´s GHG inventory, the main emission sources respectively carbon sinks in Viet Nam are energy, agriculture, LULUCF (land use, land use change and forestry) and waste. However, Viet Nam’s GHG emissions are expected to rise from 225.6 Mt CO2eq in 2010 to 760.5 Mt CO2eq by 2030 (BUR1, 2014). Viet Nam´s NDC proposes several measures to reduce GHG emissions in key economic sectors, such as energy, industry, agriculture, and waste.
Implementing the Paris Agreement: The way ahead
The Plan for Implementation of the Paris Agreement, approved by the Prime Minister through Decision No. 2053/QĐ-TTg dated October 28th, 2016, determinates the necessary actions which Viet Nam needs to achieve to successfully implement the Paris Agreement for the period 2016-2030. There are 16 actions listed in the field of mitigation, which can serve as an entry point for NAMA development. According to this plan, a number of legal documents and measures related to climate change will be prepared in the coming period, including:
(1) The Government’s Decree on a Roadmap and measures for Viet Nam to participate in global GHG emission reduction;
(2) setting up a Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system for GHG emission reduction activities at the national level ;
(3) establishing the MRV System for GHG emission reduction activities at sectoral level, including industries, LULUCF, agriculture, construction and transport;
(4) adjusting and supplementing climate change mitigation strategies, GHG emission mitigation and climate change adaptation regulations in line with Viet Nam’s commitments in the NDC and to study and propose the Law on Climate Change;
(5) developing and updating the policy framework for responding to climate change under the 2020 SP-RCC program in line with the PA implementation requirements;
(6) development management and updating of the national database on climate change and guidance on the use of information on climate change;
(7) continue integrating climate change and green growth into priority policies, planning, and programs for development investment (compare Viet Nam´s Second Biennal Update Report).